Gluten Free Chicken Fajitas are a delicious summer time meal! The juicy chicken and veggies are enclosed in warm corn tortillas then loaded up with flavorful sauces and toppings!
There are so many options to top these fajitas with (see below!), but this Cilantro Lime Dressing is an especially good option to bring out even more flavors!
- Corn Tortillas
- Diced Chile Peppers
- Garlic Powder
- Chili Pepper
- Bell Peppers
- Use grain free or other gluten free tortillas other than corn tortillas.
- Use fresh garlic instead of powdered garlic.
- Try some beef in place of the chicken.
How to Make Gluten Free Chicken Fajitas
This recipe is super easy to make! Follow the instructions below for step by step instructions.
Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
Start putting the sliced chicken, diced chili peppers, and seasonings in a mixing bowl. Mix them all together to evenly coat the chicken.
Working in batches, place some of the chicken in the skillet in a single layer. You'll cook each side for approximately 2-3 minutes per side. When it's finished, place the chicken aside and start the next batch until completed!
Now it's time for the veggies! Using the same pan, add more oil and toss in the veggies. Add in the spices immediately and mix.
Stir frequently to even cook the veggies until softened, about 8-12 minutes depending on the size of your veggies. Set aside when finished.
If you have oil left in the pan you're ready for this next step. If not, add just a teeny bit to the pan.
Work in batches again, and place 1 or 2 corn tortillas into the pan. Lightly fry for about 20-30 seconds per side so they are warm and pliable. Set aside when finished.
Now it's time for the fun part! Load up the tortillas with the chicken and veggies, then top with any or all of your favorite toppings! See below for topping ideas.
What to Serve On Top of These Fajitas
There are so many unique or traditional topping ideas here! If you come up with any others, let me know in the comments below!
- Roasted Salsa Verde
- Cilantro Lime Dressing
- Raw Onions
- Fresh Cilantro
- Siete's Botana Sauces
Siete's Botana Sauces are truly delicious! In fact, I have the traditional one pictured in the main photo on the fajitas! I highly recommend them.
Tips and Tricks
Here's a few tips and tricks to make the best fajitas ever!
- Don't skip slicing the chicken before you sauté it. It really is important to get those smaller pieces fully coated in seasoning!
- If you're using cheese as a topping, I actually recommend to have the cheese as the first item you put on top of the tortilla! This allows it to get all melty on the warm tortilla with the warm chicken and veggies on top.
- Don't skip seasoning the veggies! You need every layer to be full of flavor for the best gluten free chicken fajitas.
It all depends on what brand you buy! The seasonings may be gluten free, but they typically have all other bad-for-you ingredients. In this recipe, the fajita seasoning and ingredients are gluten free!
You can find gluten free tortillas in almost every grocery store! Corn tortillas are gluten free (though always double check the ingredients to be sure). You could also try other gluten free wraps, from brands like Mission or Siete.
If you get these from a restaurant, they probably do! If you make them at home following this recipe, then they are gluten free!
You May Also Love These Chicken Recipes
Gluten Free Chicken Fajitas
- 1 chef's knife
- 1 Cutting Board
- 1 cooking spoon
- 1 large skillet
- 1 large mixing bowl
- Measuring spoons
- measuring cups
- 1 package 10-12 corn tortillas
For the chicken
- 2-3 tbsp. olive oil other cooking fat
- 1-2 lbs. chicken breast sliced to ½-3/4 inch thickness
- 1 4 oz. can of diced chiles
- 1 tbsp. cumin
- 1 tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. oregano
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- ¼ tsp. chili powder
For the veggies
- 2 tbsp. olive oil or other cooking fat
- 1 bell pepper sliced into strips
- 1 large onion
- ½ tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. chili powder
- In a large skillet, heat the oil in the pan over medium heat.
- In a mixing bowl, add the chicken, chili, and the spices together and mix thoroughly until the chicken is completely coated.
- Working in batches, cook the chicken for approximately 2-3 minutes per side until fully heated through and no longer pink. A thermometer should read 165 when inserted through a few pieces. Set aside.
- For the veggies, heat the oil in a clean skillet over medium heat.
- Add in the peppers and onions and sauté for 10-12 minutes, stirring as they cook and start to caramelize.
- For the tortillas, use the leftover oil in the skillet and heat them for approximately 30 seconds per side. Until you're ready to eat, keep them in the oven on warm.
- Stuff the chicken and veggies into the fajitas with any toppings you may like and you're ready to eat!
Did you try this recipe? Let me know in the comments below what you topped it with! Leave me a rating too so I know how you liked it!
Tag me in Instagram @thecleanhappylife to show me how you served them!
Some of these links may be affiliate links, which means they earn me a small commission at no extra cost to you, possibly even at a discount. Thanks for your support!