Biscuits and gravy were such a favorite of mine for breakfast, but now I enjoy this gluten free version!
If you're looking for more egg free breakfasts, check out this savory and delicious Pork Verde Skillet!
- Ground Pork (or breakfast sausage)
- Gluten Free Flour
In a skillet over medium heat, cook the pork. Set aside when finished, and optionally drain the grease.
In a medium sauce pan, melt the butter, then whisk in the flour.
Whisking rapidly and steadily, slowly add in the flour until fully incorporated.
Next, keep whisking rapidly and steadily and very slowly add the milk in. When the milk is all in, add the broth the same way.
Add all the spices next and whisk to incorporate.
When it's finished, add it to the pork and mix. Enjoy!
There are lots of substitutions you can do in this recipe!
- Butter-if you are dairy free or just out of butter, you can use ghee or palm shortening.
- GF all-purpose flour- you can use regular wheat flour, it just will NOT be gluten free anymore. You can also use tapioca flour or arrowroot powder, which are both gluten and even grain free!
- Pork- if you don't eat pork, you could opt for ground turkey or ground chicken.
- Spices- if you don't have sage but you have leftover poultry seasoning from Thanksgiving, you can swap that in!
You can easily make this a paleo sausage gravy! To be considered paleo, something has to be free of gluten, grains, dairy, legumes, and refined sugar.
You'll need to use palm shortening or ghee in place of the butter as the paleo world does not consider butter to be paleo.
Even those gluten free all purpose flour obviously doesn't have gluten, it almost always contains grains which means it's not paleo.
You'll want to use arrowroot or tapioca flour to make it paleo.
And for the milk, use 3 parts almond milk and 1 part coconut milk, full fat is a must for the coconut milk.
And there you'll have a paleo version of this sausage gravy!
If you have any leftovers, be sure to store them in an airtight container. They'll last in the fridge for 3-5 days.
The most obvious suggestion to pair this with is gluten free biscuits! One of my favorites is Pamela's Biscuit and Scone Mix.
If you want to be a bit healthier or even go with the paleo version, you can serve these over baked sweet potatoes!
Gluten Free Sausage Gravy
- 1 lb ground pork or breakfast sausage
- 1 tsp. salt
- 2 tsp. sage
- 4 tbsp. butter
- 4 tbsp. gluten free flour
- 1-¼ cup milk
- 1 cup broth
- 1 tbsp. sage
- 1.5 tsp. salt
- In a large skillet, cook the pork over medium heat, stirring and breaking it up frequently. Add the spices to the pork and mix thoroughly. When finished, about 8-10 minutes, set aside.
- Note-if you're using pre-seasoned breakfast sausage, the spices can be omitted.
- Melt the butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat.
- When the butter is completely melted, whisk in the flour slowly.
- Next very slowly, add in the milk while whisking rapidly. Do the same with the broth.
- Add the salt and sage and mix in. Let it heat a few minutes more to allow it to thicken.
- Finally, combine the sausage with the gravy, and serve!
If you made this recipe, let me know how it went below! Also share what you served it with as I'm always looking for more ideas than just biscuits!
Share a photo and tag me on Instagram @thecleanhappylife!