Nothing says summer quite like strawberries do! This gluten free strawberry crisp is one of my favorite summer recipes. It’s bursting with flavor and since it’s allergen friendly, you can serve it at any summer gathering!
Strawberries: you’ll need 2 pounds. I like to cut them all in half, except for the very tiny ones.
Coconut Sugar: Coconut sugar is much healthier compared to cane sugar. It is lower on the glycemic index and won’t spike your blood sugar as much. If you don’t have it, brown sugar works well too.
Lemon Juice: Fresh or bottled is fine!
Cinnamon: optional, adds a nice little hint here without bringing in all the fall flavors.
Oats: Certified gluten free and *sprouted oats are best! Oats are naturally gluten free but unless they’re certified gluten free, they have a high risk of cross contamination. Sprouted oats are much easier to digest and the nutrients will be much more bio-available too.
Cassava Flour: A paleo, grain free flour made from yucca. Completely gluten free! Cassava flour is the paleo flour most similar to regular white flour.
Butter: Make sure it’s cold, and cut it into thin slices to make sure it mixes in easier.
Cinnamon: regular ground cinnamon to flavor the topping!
*If you’re not sure where to find sprouted oats, I get mine right here from Thrive Market. They’re affordable, and if it’s your first time ordering from Thrive Market, this link will get you 25% off and a free gift!
How to Make a Healthy Strawberry Crisp
- Cut the strawberries in half
- Mix the strawberries with the lemon juice, coconut sugar, and cinnamon if using.
- Separately mix the dry ingredients for the crumble.
- Add the chilled butter and combine with a pastry cutter (or crisscross 2 butter knives through the mixture) until small crumbs form.
- Spread the crumb topping evenly over the strawberry mixture.
- Bake until strawberries are soft, then serve and enjoy!
Only one ingredient in this is not vegan, and that’s butter. If you’d like to make a vegan strawberry crisp, swap out the butter for palm shortening. Measure it out first, then stick it on a plate in the fridge to chill before using.
I’ve seen lots of similar recipes say you can also use coconut oil, but I personally think I’d prefer to not have the coconut flavor in the topping.
Tips and Substitutions
A commonly asked question for this recipe is, can you use frozen strawberries to make this strawberry crumble? The answer is yes, you can! Let the frozen strawberries thaw out first though, and discard most of the liquid before mixing with the other ingredients.
Wondering how to serve gluten free strawberry crumb? Vanilla ice cream is a delicious topping! If you’re vegan or dairy free, there are plenty of good ice cream options that will meet your needs.
You could also top it with whipped cream! Again, there are easy to find of vegan options!
More Desserts to Try
Looking for other gluten free, vegan, or paleo desserts? Try out these delicious suggestions!
- Apple Crisp
- Paleo Peach Cobbler
- Strawberry Skillet Muffin
- Gluten Free Vanilla Donuts
- Paleo Berry Cobbler
Gluten Free Strawberry Crisp (Vegan option)
- 2 lbs strawberries
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar
- 1/2 Tpsb lemon juice
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 cup oats
- 1/2 cup cassava flour
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 2/3 cup cold butter or palm shortening
- Preheat the oven to 400° Fahrenheit.
- For the filling, wash and prepare the strawberries. Remove the stems, and cut the strawberries in half.
- Gently mix together the strawberries, lemon juice, sugar, and cinnamon. Transfer to an 8×8 baking dish.
- For the crumb topping, mix together all the dry ingredients in a medium mixing bowl. Slice the butter in small chunks then add to the bowl.
- Using a pastry cutter or 2 butter knives, mix the butter into the dry ingredients. The goal is to have small crumbs of the butter and dry ingredients combined.
- Evenly put the crumb topping over the strawberry mixture. Place in the oven and bake for 30-40 minutes, or until the strawberries are softened. Enjoy!
Did you try this recipe? Leave me a comment down below! Also share a picture and tag me on Instagram @thecleanhappylife!