This is a simple, 5 ingredient dinner! It has many flavors stuffed inside for a satisfying meal!
The recipe gives instructions for Instant Pot "baked" potatoes, but of course you can prepare them in the oven as well.
I mention below that I love having excess filling because it makes wonderful leftovers! It's delicious on it's own, but I especially love it inside a lettuce wrap. It also makes a great breakfast when you put an egg on top!
On they're own, these stuffed potatoes and paleo and Whole30-just be sure to read labels if you're using a store bought pesto. If you're primal (paleo plus dairy) or living your food freedom, add some sour cream or any ranch you prefer on top!
Enjoy these and let me know what you think!
Italian Sausage Stuffed Potatoes
- 2 lbs potatoes
- 1 lb. ground Italian Sausage alternatively you can remove the links from the casings if you don't have the sausage ground.
- 5 cloves garlic
- 2 onions
- ½ cup pesto
- chives optional topping
- ranch dressing optional topping
- extra pesto optional topping
- sour cream optional topping
- Wash and scrub your potatoes. Place ½ cup water inside your instant pot, and place the trivet inside. Put in the potatoes.
- Secure the lid and set on manual for 10 minutes. Quick release the steam when finished.
- Remove the potatoes and let them cool.
- When they are cool enough to handle, carefully cut a large hole in the top and scoop out the filling. Set aside the filling in a large bowl. Note-you can save the filling and use it as mashed potatoes. However, I like to include it as part of my stuffing mix, and it will yield leftovers for yummy wraps.
- Meanwhile, cook the onion and garlic in a skillet over medium heat. Cook until translucent.
- Add the ground Italian sausage, and cook thoroughly. Add mixture in the same bowl as the potatoes.
- Add the pesto to the filling mixture. If mixture is too dry, add more pesto or olive oil. Carefully stuff it back into the potatoes.
- Serve with any of the optional toppings!