While pesto is absolutely delicious, garlicky, and full of healthy goodness too, it typically contains nuts! This nut free version is just as delicious, and just as versatile!
One of my favorite ways to use this pesto is in this pesto and sausage dinner! It's an easy sheet pan meal, perfect for a fast dinner!
- Pumpkin Seeds
- Olive Oil
Scroll down to the recipe card for quantities.
Start by rough chopping the basil and mincing the garlic.
Place all the ingredients into a food processor, and blend on high until smooth.
Note-you may have to scrape down the sides in between blending and add more oil if needed for smoothness.
Here are a few other options if you have some similar but different ingredients you'd like to use!
- Sunflower Seeds-use these in place of the pumpkin seeds.
- Fennel-you can make fennel frond pesto instead of this basil pesto.
To make this pesto, you'll need a cutting board and a knife to prepare the basil and garlic.
You'll also need measuring cups and measuring spoons.
Finally, you'll need a food processor or a high speed blender! I also like to use a rubber spatula to scrape down the sides of the blender.
Be sure to store your finished pesto in the fridge in an air tight container.
TOP TIP: gently pour extra virgin olive oil over the top of the finished pesto to completely cover it. Once refrigerated, the oil hardens and seals over the top of the pesto, which makes it last longer than without it!
In this recipe, we're using pumpkin seeds in place of nuts in pesto! I would imagine you could also use sunflower seeds as well.
You can safely eat this recipe! There are no nuts whatsoever in this recipe.
Nut Free Pesto
- 1 Cutting Board
- 1 Knife
- 1 Rubber Spatula
- 1 Food Processor or high speed blender
- 2 bunches basil
- 3 cloves garlic
- ¼ cup pumpkin seeds
- ½ tsp. salt
- 2 Tbsp. parmesan cheese
- ¾ cup extra virgin olive oil plus more if needed
- Rough chop the basil and mince the garlic. You can use the stems of the basil too.
- Place all of the ingredients into the blender or food processor. Blend on high until smooth. If needed, scrape down the sides of the blender and add more olive oil.
If you made this recipe, please leave me a star rating and review below!
Also feel free to tag me on Instagram @thecleanhappylife!