A paleo chocolate chip cookie recipe that is "melt in your mouth" soft and so delicious!
When someone starts eating gluten free or paleo, there are certain recipes you just can't live without! Chocolate chip cookies are certainly one of those recipes!
When I'm feeling lazy (especially on a snow day!), I also like to make this skillet cookie, which is also paleo and gluten free!
The ingredients here may seem odd if you're new to eating paleo, but if you're a seasoned paleo baker, nothing new here! In fact if that's the case, you probably have everything on hand.
- Almond Butter
- Coconut Oil
- Maple Syrup
- Vanilla Extract
- Coconut Sugar
- Cassava Flour
- Coconut Flour
- Baking Soda
- Chocolate Chips
See recipe card for quantities.
Start with the dry and wet ingredients in separate bowls, and mix them thoroughly. Then you'll add them together and mix them together.
Next, mix the dough into golf ball sized balls, and place them on a parchment lined sheet.
Finally, bake the cookies! Put the tray in the pre-heated oven and bake the cookies for approximately 12 minutes.
Hint: Let the cookies stay on the tray for 5 minutes after they're removed from the oven. Cassava cookies need time to set, or else they will fall apart!
It can be tricky to find paleo chocolate chips. I personally don't worry about it and use chocolate chips from Enjoy Life.
You can also these from Hu Kitchen, as they are truly paleo.
There are two pieces of equipment I highly recommend for this recipe.
An immersion blender is SO helpful for mixing the wet ingredients! You can mix them by hands of course, but using an immersion blender makes incorporating the almond butter so much easier.
The second piece I recommend is a silicone spatula. I find it so easy to mix the wet and dry ingredients together. You want to be careful not to overmix it (see below), and the rubber spatula helps mix it perfectly.
Be sure to store the finished paleo cookies in an air tight container! Once they're cooled, don't let them sit out all day or else they will get stale.
You can also put them in a bowl or plate and seal completely with saran wrap or bees wrap.
Don't overmix the dough! If you keep mixing and mixing, the cookies will be hard. Mix until the ingredients are just incorporated them form into balls right away.
Paleo Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 1 cookie tray
- Parchment Paper
- mixing beater
- 1 large mixing bowl
- 1 medium mixing bowl
- 1 mixing spoon or rubber spatula
- 1 egg at room temperature
- ½ cup almond butter smooth or creamy, not chunky
- 2 Tbsp. coconut oil melted, but not hot
- ¼ cup maple syrup if kept in the fridge, let it come to room temperature first
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- ⅓ cup coconut sugar
- 1 cup cassava flour
- 3 Tbsp. coconut flour
- ½ tsp. baking soda
- ¼ tsp. salt
- ¾ cup chocolate chips see above for paleo options
- Line a large cookie tray with parchment and set aside. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Using a hand beater, mix together all of the wet ingredients plus the coconut sugar until just mixed and smooth.
- Mix together the dry ingredients in a small bowl (not including the chocolate chips), then gently mix them into the wet ingredients until just mixed. Be careful not to over mix.
- Slowly fold in the chocolate chips.
- By hand, form the dough into medium sized cookie balls, around 15 total. Place them on the parchment lined tray. You may have to bake in batches or use two trays to fit them all.
- Bake in the oven for 10-12 minutes. Allow them to cool on the tray for at least five minutes or else they will fall apart if removed too soon. Enjoy!
Did you make this recipe? Let me know in the comments below!
Please note that this recipe has been adapted from this recipe by Paleo Running Momma. I much prefer the texture when using cassava flour, they're so much softer this way!
Take a photo and tag me on Instagram @thecleanhappylife!