If you love chocolate ice cream, you are going to fall head over heels for this chocolate brownie cake batter ice cream! The best part? It's gluten free!
If you prefer vanilla, check out this gluten free cake batter ice cream!
- Whole Milk
- Heavy Cream
- Cane Sugar
- Gluten Free Chocolate Cake Mix
- Gluten Free Brownies
The gluten free brownies can be homemade if you like, but to save time and up the deliciousness, I like to use the gluten free brownie bites from Enjoy Life. They're free from many common allergens also!
In a medium sauce pan over medium heat, whisk together the whole milk, heavy cream, sugar, and cake batter. Heat and mix it until you don't feel the sugar and batter scraping on the bottom.
Place it in the fridge until completely chilled.
When it's completely chilled, set up the ice cream maker. Follow the instructions to make ice cream!
When it's almost finished, pour in the brownie bites and let it mix in. If there isn't enough room, mix it in by hand afterward.
Transfer the ice cream to a freezer safe container, and let it harden up some more, for at least a few hours or until it reaches the consistency you like.
Mix in Variations
If the brownies aren't your thing or you don't have them on hand, try some of these options below!
- Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Chocolate Chips
- Chocolate Cake
- Chocolate Frosting
You'll need an ice cream maker for this (duh!). There are a few different options but this is the machine I have. You do have to remember to put the ice cream bowl in the freezer for advance, preferably 24 hours in advance but at least 16.
There are other ice cream makers where you do not have to put it in the freezer first, they definitely increase in price but are more convenient!
Store this in a freezer safe container. I typically use a silicone bread pan which fits this recipe perfectly!
Don't skip on the fat! The fat is needed to have the best flavor and the best consistency.
Make sure you use heavy cream and whole milk. I personally like to use raw milk since the fat is completely there.
I don't recommend skipping the step to heat the batter first to dissolve the sugar and cake mix. The reason is so that you aren't eating raw flour.
While we all eat raw cookie dough here and there and it's eve sold in stores, if possible try not to skip this step!
To speed up the process, keep back 1 cup of heavy cream or the milk and add it to the batter once everything is dissolved to speed up the cooling process.
Gluten Free Chocolate Brownie Cake Batter Ice Cream
- 1 medium sauce pan
- 1 Mixing Spoon
- measuring cups
- 1 ice cream maker
- 1 freezer safe dish
- 1 cup whole milk
- 2 cups heavy cream
- ⅔ cup gluten free chocolate cake mix King Arthur's is great
- ¾ cup cane sugar
- gluten free brownies homemade or store bought
- In a medium sauce pan, whisk together the whole milk, sugar, cake mix, and the heavy cream.
- Whisk the mixture and heat until dissolved, don't let it boil. You'll know it's done when you don't feel the sugar and cake mix against the bottom of the pan while whisking. Remove from heat.
- Place the mixture in the fridge until completely chilled. You can also place it in a chilled container to speed it up.
- When the mixture is completely chilled, turn on the ice cream maker and follow the instructions to make ice cream
- In the last few minutes until the ice cream finishes, add in the brownies. If there are too many to fit, mix them in manually by hand in the next step.
- Either serve immediately, or place in a freezer safe container and place in the freezer for a few hours until firmer. Enjoy!
If you made this recipe or have any questions about it, let me know in the comments below!
Feel free to share a picture of it and tag me on Instagram @thecleanhappylife!
No links in this post are sponsored.
Leave a Reply