This is the perfect weeknight meal for Fall or Winter! It comes together quickly and is paired perfectly over mashed potatoes! To keep this Whole30 make sure the Italian sausage has no added sugar. If you’re local to CT or New England, Lamberti’s is a great compliant brand!
Creamy Tuscan Sausage Skillet
- 2 Tbsp. Oil
- 1 lb. Italian Sausage sliced into bite sized pieces if in casings
- 1 Onion chopped
- 4-5 cloves Garlic chopped
- 1 Cup Broth
- 3/4 Cup Almond Milk
- 1 Cup Sun dried tomatoes chopped after measuring
- 1 Tbsp. Mustard
- 1 tsp. Lemon Juice
- 1/2 lb Spinach Frozen or fresh
- 1/4 Cup Parmesan Cheese (omit if paleo or Whole30)
- salt optional
- 2 tsp arrowroot
- Heat oil over medium heat. When hot, add the sausage. As it cooks, gradually turn up the heat to medium-high so the moisture cooks off immediately and the sausages get crispy. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Lower heat to medium. Add onion to the pan. Cook for 2-3 minutes, then add garlic and cook until both are softened.
- Push the garlic and onions aside in the pan. Gradually whisk the arrowroot into the oil in the pan. Stir the onion and garlic into the mixture to coat everything.
- Slowly whisk the broth into the pan, scraping up the brown bits as you go. Let it boil and thicken in between adding broth.
- Slowly whisk in the milk. Whisk in the mustard and lemon juice.
- Add in the sausages, spinach, and sun dried tomatoes. When everything has heated through, let it simmer a few minutes to thicken if needed. If using the parmesan cheese, add it now and stir.
- Serve together and enjoy!