This is such a great, simple meal! With only 6 ingredients, you can whip up this Italian Sausage Skillet in no time. Healthy meals don't have to be complicated!
This is delicious with a side salad! Need some dressing ideas? I've got you covered! Check out my dairy free dressings here!
Ingredients for Italian Sausage Skillet
- Olive oil (or cooking fat of choice)
- Bell pepper
- Italian Sausage
- Marinara Sauce
A few notes on the ingredients:
You can use one bell pepper but you could also use 3-4 mini bell peppers.
When it comes to the marinara sauce, the size of the sauce isn't the most important thing. If it's a few ounces over or under, it's not a problem. Just find one you love!
You'll notice this recipe calls for cooking fat. You can use any you like! If you're Whole30 or Paleo this could be ghee, coconut oil, avocado oil, or olive oil.
If you tolerate it, you could also use butter! Lard and shortening are also options.
First, start off by heating the oil or fat in a pan over medium heat.
Next, add the chopped peppers, onion, and garlic. Stir frequently for 5-7 minutes, until just softened.
Then add the ground sausage, breaking it up in the pan.
Finally, add the jar of marinara sauce and mix thoroughly. Let it simmer while stirring off and on for about 10 minutes. Enjoy!
How to serve
My favorite way to pair this is with gluten free pasta. Serve it with rotini so it can grab on to all the sauce!
It can also be served over rice, sort of like a deconstructed stuffed sausage!
If you don't tolerate grains, you can serve this over sweet potatoes for a filling meal!
Veggie noodles are another grain free option that still feels like pasta!
Let any leftovers completely cool before storing them. When cooled, seal them in an airtight container.
Leftovers will keep in the fridge for up to 3-5 days.
Italian Sausage Meal
- 1 Knife
- 1 Cutting Board
- 1 Large Skillet or Dutch Oven
- 1 wooden spoon
- 2 tablespoon cooking fat of choice, olive oil is good
- 1 large bell pepper thinly sliced, or 3-4 small peppers
- 1 large onion thinly sliced
- 5 cloves garlic diced
- 1 lb. Italian Sausage ground
- 1 28 oz jar of marinara sauce of choice
- Heat the oil in a skillet or dutch oven over high heat.
- Add the peppers, onions, and garlic to the pan and stir while cooking for 5-7 minutes, until softened.
- Add the ground Italian sausage and break up. Add the marinara sauce and mix thoroughly.
- Cook for approximately 10 minutes, stirring and breaking up the meat until cooked. Enjoy!
More Easy Whole30 Recipes to Try
Did you make this recipe? Leave me a comment below! I love to hear your thoughts and how it turned!
If you made it, tag me in your creation on Instagram @thecleanhappylife! I'd love to see it!
Note-this post may contain affiliate links that earn me a small commission but at no extra cost to you. Thank you for your support!