This Hot Dog Casserole is so delicious and gluten and grain free. A good chili dog casserole is such a good comfort food for nights in!
It uses tostones in the casserole which means it's quite allergen friendly!
Chili Dog Casserole Ingredients
- Ground Beef
- Bell Peppers
- Crushed Tomatoes
- Cheddar Cheese
Start by making the tostones.
Next, make the chili! Cook the ground beef and veggies, then add the tomatoes and hot dogs.
Now it's time to layer! It goes tostones, chili, cheese, repeat.
Finally bake the casserole at 400 degrees Fahrenheit until hot and bubbly and lightly golden!
- Plantains- thinly slice sweet potatoes into rounds and bake them with a bit of salt and oil. Cook them until they are just softened and use in place of the plantains.
- Cheese- try using nutritional yeast. It gives a very cheesy flavor and you won't feel like you're missing out on the cheese!
- Extras- you could also add in more veggies or sub them out. Try carrots or celery, or even add in jalapenos for an extra kick!
Toppings and Extras
To take this dish to the next level, most definitely serve it with hot sauce! My favorite hot sauce for both quality ingredients and flavor is the mild buffalo sauce from The New Primal! Use the THECLEANHAPPYLIFE for 15% off!
A cheaper and classic hot sauce that goes well also is Franks original hot sauce, or the buffalo wing sauce!
I like to serve it with sour cream and green onions too. Delicious!
Hot Dog Casserole
- 1 Frying pan
- 1 Spatula or tongs for the tostones
- 1 Mixing Spoon
- 1 8x8 baking dish
- 2 plantains made into tostones (see link above)
- oil for frying
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 bell pepper cut into strips
- 1 onion chopped
- 2 cloves garlic diced
- 14.5 oz. can crushed tomatoes
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 pack hotdogs
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- Prepare the plantains, and set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 400F degrees.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, cook the ground beef, about 8-10 minutes.
- Add in the pepper, onion, garlic, salt, crushed tomatoes, and hotdogs. Let cook and simmer until veggies have just softened.
- To prepare the casserole, take an 8x8 dish and put a layer of tostones on the bottom, then half the chili mixture, then half the cheese. Repeat.
- Bake at 400F for 10 minutes, until cheese is bubbly and lightly golden.
Note, this post contains affiliate links which earn me a small commission, but at no extra cost to you! Thanks for your support!
If you made this recipe, leave me a comment below how it turned out! Tag me in a picture on Instagram @thecleanhappylife!